    SubjectRe: x86-64 sporadic hang in 2.6.23rc7 and 2.6.22
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@aitel.hist.no> writes:
    >
    >> shrink_dcache_memory
    >>

    > That usually means random memory corruption from somewhere -- dcache
    > tends to use a lot of memory and when it is corrupted anywhere these
    > functions tend to crash while walking the lists.
    >
    > Unfortunately memory corruption is hard to track down because
    > the messenger is usually not the one to blame.
    >
    > Perhaps enable slab debugging and see if it turns
    > something up. Could be also broken hardware. Does an older kernel
    > run stable? If yes and if it can be reproduced bisecting would
    > be good.

    I attempted bisecting - and failed. The problem is that
    2.6.23rc7 seems very unstable, but 2.6.22rc4 is much better
    but not perfect. 2.6.22rc4 only crashed once - it can compile for
    hours and swap lots and keep running. But it died at least once.

    I'll try running recent kernels with more debugging instead.
    I think I used SLUB instead of SLAB - either way I can switch
    that over to see if it changes things.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2007-10-05 14:15    [W:0.029 / U:0.092 seconds]