    SubjectRe: "Fix ATAPI transfer lengths" causes CD writing regression
    Jens Axboe wrote:
    > Right, that's of course problematic... There has to be a way to recover
    > that situation though, or you can't export any user command issue
    > facility.

    You cannot hope to handle all possible effects arising from an app
    providing an invalid sg header / cdb.

    Once you start talking "recovery" you are already screwed: we are
    talking about low-level hardware commands that are passed straight to
    the hardware. It is trivial to lock up hardware, brick hardware, and
    corrupt data at that level.

    If this is NOT a privileged app, we must update the command validation
    to ensure that invalid commands are not transported to the hardware.

    If this is a privileged app, our work is done. Fix the app. We gave
    root rope, and he took it.

    I even venture to say that "accept anything, clean up afterwards" is
    /impossible/ to implement, in addition to being dangerous.

      Last update: 2007-10-31 17:09    [W:0.019 / U:7.000 seconds]