    SubjectRe: 2.6.23 regression: accessing invalid mmap'ed memory from gdb causes unkillable spinning

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > Well the patch is right, in the context of the regression I introduced
    > (and so it should probably go into 2.6.23).

    Yeah, it probably is fine for -stable.

    And if mine (which actually changes behaviour, in that it makes ptrace get
    an access error) causes regressions, I guess we'll have to use that
    compatible-with-old-behaviour one for 2.6.24 too.

    But I just rebooted and tested - the cleaned-up patch does seem to work
    fine, and I get "Cannot access memory at address <xyz>" rather than any
    reported problem.

    So I think I'll commit my version asap, and see if anybody reports that
    they have a situation where they use ptrace() and expect zero back from a
    shared mapping past the end.. And if there are issues, we can switch back
    to the old broken behaviour with your patch,

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-10-31 17:09    [W:0.019 / U:94.072 seconds]