SubjectRe: [kvm-devel] 2.6.23.1-rt4 and kvm 48
Carsten Emde wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>> David Brown wrote:
>>> I thought I'd try out the realtime patch set and it didn't work at all
>>> with kvm. The console didn't dump anything and the system completely
>>> locked up.
> Up to now, the unmodified kvm module never worked with any RT kernel.
> This would only change, if RT patched kernels were routinely used in the
> kvm release tests which is, for the time being, not the case.

As far as I understood (but didn't re-test yet), latest kvm release does
include all features required to run over -rt. This was at least the
case for kvm-git I picked up last week and merged into 2.6.23-rt1. The
only issue is that out-of-tree kvm doesn't enable the preemption
notifiers (maybe there were one or two further minor issues, I think to
recall missing smp_ops exports being one, but these were not -rt related).

> However, tglx once provided a hand-crafted kvm version that can be used
> together with a selected RT kernel -> see "Latest Stable"
> (http://www.osadl.org/Latest-Stable.latest-stable-realtime-kernel.0.html)
> realtime kernel. It is based on kernel 2.6.21.6-rt21 and kvm-28.
>
> We used these modules to carry out a number of "proof of concept" tests
> which were very successful. The realtime capabilities of the host system
> remained unchanged irrespective of whether the kvm guest system (no
> graphics) was running or not. This was even the case while the guest
> system was booting.

Interesting result - you've read about the wbinvd issues? Is there no
wbinvd in the bios shipped with older kvm? Which VM extension did you
test, both Intel and AMD? I would bet that your X issues are due to the
same effect. X startup/shutdown involves a lot of wbinvd calls on my
test boxes.

To sum up my findings: kvm over whatever RT kernel is risky
(latency-wise) unless you can audit or even para-virtualise your guest
OS /wrt wbinvd. Maybe we can discuss this also in Linz by the end of the
week. :)

Jan