SubjectRe: [RFC] Create instrumentation directory (git repository)
* Jeff Garzik (jeff@garzik.org) wrote:
> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> >* Jeff Garzik (jeff@garzik.org) wrote:

> >>"instrumentation" is long, and painful to the fingers :)
> >>

> >Quoting my post from last week:
> >
> >>My main concern is that 15 characters long directory name might be
> >>inelegant (however, it only beats Documentation by 2).
> >
> >And quoting the answer from Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu :
> >How so? i n s esc. 4 keystrokes (and still 2 more than D<ESC> ;)
> >

> >Better suggestions are wery welcome. However, in modern shells,
> >auto-completion is cheap nowadays.
>
> That is no excuse for extreme verbosity. It makes ls(1) displays ugly,
> it makes diffstat ugly, it causes long pathnames to be truncated in
> various display-oriented programs.
>
> Pick a shorter word like probes or profile or what... or better yet...
> just leave most things in their current directories.
>
> Shuffling files around just to put them into directories with extra-long
> names is highly undesirable.

I'll keep the probes and profile directory name ideas in mind, thanks.

This patchset does more than moving things around : its purpose is to
gather various kernel files that have similar purpose (instrumentation)
into a single directory so that it becomes easier to work on these
without duplicating the effort.

I see no good reason to have so many different adhoc instrumentation
mechanisms for profiling (sched, vm, oprofile) and tracing (blktrace,
suspend/resume tracing) all over the place. Merging them in a single
directory seems like a good step towards a more generic
instrumentation/profiling/tracing infrastructure.

Back to "profile" and "probes" directory names, they might be short, but
they do not represent the whole markup-profiling-tracing trio,
"profile" lacks the tracing part and "probe" lacks the markup part.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers