SubjectRe: [2.6.23-rt3] NMI watchdog trace of deadlock

--

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, Jaswinder Singh wrote:

> Hello Ingo,
>
> On 10/27/07, Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
> >
> > it's not atomic interrupt context but irq thread context - and -rt
> > remaps kmap_atomic() to kmap() internally.
> >
> > the problem seems to be what Mike's patch works around: fiddling with
> > irq flags in the ntfs code. That fiddling seems quite unnecessary at
> > first sight.
> >

> Is this a nice idea to go inside device drivers and filesystem and
> make changes in kernel source code to enable RT.

Actually the question is, is it a nice idea for drivers to disable
interrupts for no obvious reason. I'm sure you have a reason, but it's not
obvious to me why. What does it protect? Is it SMP safe?

When tuning a RT system for the customer, the first thing we recommend is
to check to make sure all the drivers in use do not disable interrupts.

> RT related change should be in header files, so that we don't need to
> make changes for drivers or filesystem source files.
>
> And when user will disable RT then these patches will again make problems.
>
> We need to find some better alternative.

We do have the local_irq_save_nort that Mike has posted. This is a simple
wrapper around local_irq_save that enables it when RT is not configured,
and is a nop when RT is configured.

Thanks,

-- Steve