    SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] cpusets: add interleave_over_allowed option
    > > You have chosen (1) above, which keeps Choice A as the default.
    >
    > There can be different defaults for the user space API via libnuma that
    > are indepdent from the kernel API which needs to remain stable. The kernel
    > API can be extended but not changed.

    Yes - the user level code can have different defaults too.

    I was discussing what should be the default kernel API.

    > None of those [alternatives] sound appealing. Multiple processes may run
    > in one cpuset.

    Well, that would justify keeping this choice per-task. I tend to
    agree with that.

    But that doesn't justify having to specify it on each system call.

    In another reply David recommends against supporting Choice A at all.
    I'm inclined to agree with him. I'll reply there, with more thoughts.

    But if we did support Choice A, as a backwards compatible alternative
    to Choice B, I'd suggest a per-task mode, not per-system call mode.
    This would reduce the impact on the API of the ugly, unobvious, modal
    flag needed to select the optional, non kernel default, Choice B
    semantics.

    I still have low confidence that you (Christoph) and I have the same
    understanding of what these Choice A and B are. Hopefully you can
    address that, perhaps by briefly describing these choices in your words.

    --
    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability