SubjectRe: RAID 10 w AHCI w NCQ = Spurius I/O error
Nestor A. Diaz wrote:
> Hello People,
> I need your help, this problem is turning me crazy.

Did you know there is a raid list?
> I have created a RAID 10 using a RAID0 configuration on top of a two
> RAID1 devices (all software raid), like this:

You have created a raid 0+1, raid10 is a different thing. Given your
setup, raid10 is probably what you *should* have created.
> Personalities : [raid0] [raid1]
> md4 : active raid0 md2[0] md3[1]
> 605071872 blocks 64k chunks
> md0 : active raid1 sdd3[3] sda3[0] sdc3[2] sdb3[1]
> 9791552 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]
> md3 : active raid1 sdd2[2](F) sdb2[0]
> 302536000 blocks [2/1] [U_]
> md1 : active raid1 sdd1[3] sda1[0] sdc1[2] sdb1[1]
> 240832 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]
> md2 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdc2[1]
> 302536000 blocks [2/2] [UU]
> unused devices: <none>
> But the sdd device sometimes fail, i have changed the hard disk, check
> the older sata drive, reformat using mke2fs -c -c (to check for media
> errrors both read and write, no media problems found, change the sata
> disk and the problem remains, also with a new sata hard disk).
> The systema is a supermicro server 5015-mt+ with an ich7 ahci controller

> The RAID 1 builds perfectly, but five days after that, the system shows a:
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 144006110
> raid1: Disk failure on sdd2, disabling device.
> Operation continuing on 1 devices
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 144006222
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 144268814
> RAID1 conf printout:
> --- wd:1 rd:2
> disk 0, wo:0, o:1, dev:sdb2
> disk 1, wo:1, o:0, dev:sdd2
> RAID1 conf printout:
> --- wd:1 rd:2
> disk 0, wo:0, o:1, dev:sdb2

Hardware error, almost certainly. If you're using a hub, I suspect that
first, then cables and heat problems, then the controller, in rough
order of likelyhood.
> a week before i get (under 2.6.18) the following message:
[___lots more snip___]

> I have updated from 2.6.18 to 2.6.22 expecting to not have the problem,
> but the problem remains and i didn't know what could be the problem, the
> problem always happen on /dev/sdd, i use LVM on top of the RAID 10
> software device.
> I am not sure if the problem was because i create the RAID10 using two
> RAID1 devices and then do a RAID0, or should i have to be used mdadm and
> the level 10 option ?
> Any suggestions will be welcome.
Do you ever get errors in partitions which are not part of the raid0+1
setup, like md1? If not, look at your partition tables to see if you
have any strange values there.

Are all drives at the same firmware level?

Bill Davidsen <>