SubjectRe: [patch 1/1] Drop CAP_SYS_RAWIO requirement for FIBMAP
On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 01:22:17 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:06:40 -0700
> Mike Waychison <mikew@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Remove the need for having CAP_SYS_RAWIO when doing a FIBMAP call on an open file descriptor.
> >
> > It would be nice to allow users to have permission to see where their data is landing on disk, and there really isn't a good reason to keep them from getting at this information.
>
> Historically this was done because people felt it was more secure. It
> also allows you to make some deductions about other activities on the
> disk but thats probably only a concern for very very security crazed
> compartmentalised boxes
>
> Also historically at least FIBMAP could be abused to crash the system.
> Now if you can verify that has been fixed I have no problem, but given
> that I can find no record of that being fixed it would be wise to audit
> it first and review Chris Evans and other reports about what occurs when
> FIBMAP is passed random block numbers.
>
> FIBMAP has another problem for this general use as well - it takes an int
> but the block number can now be bigger for very large files on 32bit.

Additionally, ext3_bmap() has this to say about it:

if (EXT3_I(inode)->i_state & EXT3_STATE_JDATA) {
/*
* This is a REALLY heavyweight approach, but the use of
* bmap on dirty files is expected to be extremely rare:
* only if we run lilo or swapon on a freshly made file
* do we expect this to happen.
*
* (bmap requires CAP_SYS_RAWIO so this does not
* represent an unprivileged user DOS attack --- we'd be
* in trouble if mortal users could trigger this path at
* will.)

  Last update: 2007-10-27 00:03    [W:0.179 / U:0.304 seconds]