SubjectRe: [patch 1/2] oProfile: oops when profile_pc() return ~0LU
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 18:13:21 +0200, Philippe Elie wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 at 13:10 +0000, Sami Farin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 19:38:10 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > This set of two patches look ok by me, but I'd like sign-offs.. Also, were
> > > they tested and found to fix the problem by Sami?
> > >
> > > Linus
>
> For the signed-offs I thought the From: was an implicit Signed-offs.
>
> Test was done privately, Sami helped to narrow down the trouble, but
> he didn't test the last patch, nothing bad on Sami side, I was too
> confident the fix was obvious after narrowing it.
>

> > The previous patch I tested by Philippe, oprof-fix-profile_pc-use.patch,
> > worked ok, but with this latest patch oprofiled aborts.
> > But kernel does not oops or print msgs.
>
> argh, I just moved the wrong eip from kernel to user space where the same
> problem occur too, *sighs*, since I can't reproduce Sami problem, my own
> test obviously worked...
>
> Sami, can you test this new patch. After testing can you report
> the contents of /dev/oprofile/stats/cpu*/sample_invalid_eip ?

cat /dev/oprofile/stats/cpu?/sample_invalid_eip; sleep 10; cat /dev/oprofile/stats/cpu?/sample_invalid_eip
834
835
0
0
906
911
0
0

For some reason there are four directories, but I have
only two CPUs in reality.

And oprofiled survives the test OK.

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.