    SubjectRe: tristate and bool not enogh for Kconfig anymore
    Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:42:38PM +0200, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:
    >> I think there is a need for Kconfig to specify that a functionality could
    >> be built as a module or not built at all.
    >>
    >> Some drivers require that firmware is loaded when the driver is
    >> initialized. The kernel has functionalities for this by using a userspace
    >> program. However, this userspace program is only usable from modules and
    >> not during boot while any initrd or any other file system has not yet been
    >> mounted and yet less any processes started.
    >
    > That's wrong. You can load firmware from the initramfs even if the
    > driver is built in. There is no valid reason why a driver shouldn't
    > be allowed to be built in.

    Could you please explain how this is supposed to work?

    As far as I understand, the kernel initializes all built-in drivers, and
    only then starts /init in initramfs (which is then supposed to start
    udevd and load firmware) - but that's too late.

    --
    Alexander E. Patrakov