    From: Daniel Barkalow <>
    Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:31:04 -0400 (EDT)

    > It's likewise documented (although maybe arguable in wording) that the
    > device shouldn't send legacy interrupts if MSI is in use, regardless of
    > INTX_DISABLE, but this also happens in the field.
    > I think that the current Linux behavior with respect to INTX_DISABLE is
    > simply due to which hardware bug was present in the device whose driver
    > first got Linux support, but one or the other or both needs a quirk, since
    > there's no behavior that works with everything. And it's still impossible
    > to tell which bug is more common, since MSI isn't used most of the time,
    > even if the hardware supports it, so it's pretty arbitrary which way Linux
    > goes in the non-quirk case.

    I think this pretty much sums up the situation accurately.

    My suggestion is:

    1) Leave the pci_intx() twiddling code in drivers/pci/msi.c

    2) Add quirks for "INTX_DISABLE turns off MSI too", this sets
    a flag in the pci_dev.

    3) The pci_intx() calls in drivers/pci/msi.c are skipped if this
    flag from #2 is set.

    4) Add quirk entries for drivers/net/tg3.c chips and these SATA
    devices we are learning about here, as well as any others we
    are aware of right now.

    5) Remove the pci_intx() workaround code from drivers/net/tg3.c
    and elsewhere.

      Last update: 2007-10-23 02:15    [W:0.022 / U:3.684 seconds]