SubjectRE: Question about free/used memory on Linux
Hi Vaidy,
Thanks for clarifying several of my doubts.

To answer your question about my intention, we currently have a
system with 2 GB RAM and I need to find out the actual used and
free memory so that we can decide if the same setup(applications,
tmpfs etc.) can run on another system with lesser memory.

Is it correct to say that the "used" field "free -m" excluding
buffers/caches would give the correct idea of used memory
(I mean does it take care of shared memory, shared copies of
libraries etc.) ? I assume it does not include /dev/shm usage
since that's also a tmpfs partition ?

If so, then I can add the memory used by tmpfs partitions to
the above and get the total memory used ?

For eg. if my "free -m" appears as below:
Linux(debug)# free -m
total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 2014 984 1030 0 80
594
-/+ buffers/cache: 309 1705

Can I say that 309MB + 350 MB(size of tmpfs partitions including
/dev/shm)
is the used memory on my system ?

Thanks,
Ravi