    SubjectQuestion about free/used memory on Linux
    Hi kernel gurus,
    I am trying to find out the memory that's used on my linux box.
    I find that there are quite a few confusing metrics. How do
    I find out the "true" used memory ?

    1. For eg. "free -m" shows free memory (excluding buffers/caches)
    as 308 MB while I can see(from "df" output) that the the tmpfs
    partitions take up about 400 MB. So, does "free -m" not consider
    the tmpfs partitions ?

    2. I try to add up RSS field of all processes reported by
    "ps aux" command. But is it true that this would be misleading
    in that, shared memory used by, say 2 processes would show
    up twice here although there's only one copy in memory. Also
    does this consider the fact that there's only one copy
    of shared libraries ?

    3. I guess "free -m" and "top" commands use /proc/meminfo
    and hence all these outputs are same ?

    Thanks,
    Ravi

      Last update: 2007-10-21 20:03    [W:0.022 / U:2.252 seconds]