    SubjectRe: [regression] 2.6.23 sata_mv EH updates broke my 7042 controller
    Olof Johansson wrote:
    > On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:37:44PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> Olof Johansson wrote:
    >>> Hardware config in my case:
    >>> Highpoint 2310 controller
    >>> PPC (big endian)
    >>> WD Raptor disk
    >>> Works fine with the other controller I've been using (SIL24), and works
    >>> fine if I revert the driver.
    >>> It also works fine if I disable the IOMMU. This would point towards
    >>> either a stale dma mapping, or a missing setup of one.
    >>> Not being much at home in the SATA drivers I could keep digging but I
    >>> figured I'd bring it up first in case it rings a bell for someone.
    >> The IOMMU data point is certainly interesting. Nothing jumps out on a
    >> re-review of the patch, so keep digging and let us know ;-)
    > Looks like it's caused by enabling vmerge (which tends to be on for the
    > common PPC defconfigs). If I disable it, things look OK.
    > Perhaps the Marvell controller doesn't like requests larger than 64K,
    > or wrapping some boundary. Do you have access to erratas/docs?
    > I have verified it on a powermac now as well (had a quick scare that it
    > might have been some problem with the PA Semi IOMMU, but no).

    FWIW: I just tried the 6042 on my AMD64 platform with iommu=force, and
    was unable to reproduce any trouble.

    You could try changing MV_DMA_BOUNDARY to 0xffffU and see what happens.

    I'll also look through my errata, to see what is different between 6042
    and 7042, if anything.

      Last update: 2007-10-03 01:25    [W:0.020 / U:38.880 seconds]