SubjectRe: [regression] 2.6.23 sata_mv EH updates broke my 7042 controller
Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:37:44PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Olof Johansson wrote:
>>> Hardware config in my case:
>>> Highpoint 2310 controller
>>> PPC (big endian)
>>> WD Raptor disk
>>> Works fine with the other controller I've been using (SIL24), and works
>>> fine if I revert the driver.
>>> It also works fine if I disable the IOMMU. This would point towards
>>> either a stale dma mapping, or a missing setup of one.
>>> Not being much at home in the SATA drivers I could keep digging but I
>>> figured I'd bring it up first in case it rings a bell for someone.
>> The IOMMU data point is certainly interesting. Nothing jumps out on a
>> re-review of the patch, so keep digging and let us know ;-)
>
> Looks like it's caused by enabling vmerge (which tends to be on for the
> common PPC defconfigs). If I disable it, things look OK.
>
> Perhaps the Marvell controller doesn't like requests larger than 64K,
> or wrapping some boundary. Do you have access to erratas/docs?
>
> I have verified it on a powermac now as well (had a quick scare that it
> might have been some problem with the PA Semi IOMMU, but no).

FWIW: I just tried the 6042 on my AMD64 platform with iommu=force, and
was unable to reproduce any trouble.

You could try changing MV_DMA_BOUNDARY to 0xffffU and see what happens.
I'll also look through my errata, to see what is different between 6042
and 7042, if anything.

Jeff