    SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 03:04:00 CDT, Rob Landley said:
    > I note that the eth0 and eth1 names are dynamically assigned on a first come
    > first serve basis (like scsi). This never causes me a problem because the
    > driver loading order is constant, and once you figure out that eth0 is
    > gigabit and eth1 is the 80211g it _stays_ that way across reboots, reliably.
    > Yeah, it's a heuristic. Hands up everybody relying on such a heuristic in
    > the real world.

    I've gotten burned by that heuristic enough times to not rely on it. My last
    laptop had an ethernet on the motherboard, a *separate* ethernet in the docking
    station, an ethernet on a multifunction pcmcia card (I usually just used the
    modem side), and a wireless that looked like an ethernet - so it was possible
    for a given interface to be eth1 (if no dock and no pcmcia card) or eth3 (if
    both were present). And that's on a laptop from almost 5 years ago.

    And then there's the recent Sun and Dell 1U rack-mounts that have 4 ethernets
    on the motherboard, and they *never* seem to assign in a 0,1,2,3 order that
    matches the 0 1 2 3 printed above the 4 RJ45's ;)

    So I have for years been a proponent of 'ethN is nailed by MAC address' :)
      Last update: 2007-10-17 07:39    [W:0.020 / U:8.772 seconds]