SubjectRe: WANTED: kernel projects for CS students
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:09:04 +0200 (CEST)
> Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@computergmbh.de> wrote:
>> On Oct 16 2007 13:06, Mark Gross wrote:
>>>
>>> base function:
>>> Starting from a stock distro (FC, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE...) and put down a
>>> kernel.org tree and automatically create a .config with all the
>>> drivers needed for the platform I'm building on.
>>
>> Too easy. Since opensuse's udev loads most of the modules for your
>> hardware, all that would be needed is to transform the lsmod list of
>> modules plus the static options in /proc/config.gz (stuff like
>> psmouse) back into kconfig options ;-)
>
> Well, at that point it does not know whether or not you
> occasionally plug in an ipod or a digital camera.

you can ask the user to plugin all the different devices that they want to
use when doing the config scan

bonus points if you have both the ability to go from nothing to a config
_and_ take an existing config and add any additional drivers needed for
the current hardware

David Lang

> Going back from the lsmod output to all the right CONFIG
> options is also not as trivial as it sounds, due to all
> the dependencies there are.
>
> This project sounds like it could be a great undergraduate
> project, maybe built on top of Ketchup to automatically
> fetch, configure, compile and install a working kernel :)
>
> Are there any volunteers to write down the project
> description on the kernelnewbies.org wiki?

  Last update: 2007-10-16 23:29    [W:0.182 / U:0.092 seconds]