    SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Alan Cox wrote:

    >>> /dev/sd-ide-b - second IDE HDD,
    >>> /dev/sr-sata-0 - first SATA CD-ROM,
    >
    > I wouldn't try dividing those by pata v sata. You'll cause all sorts of
    > problems in the process because of PATA-SATA and SATA-PATA bridges.

    if you use a PATA-SATA bridge (IDE drive SATA controller), it would look
    to the system like a SATA drive and be addressed and enumerated as SATA.

    if you use a SATA-PATA bridge (SATA drive, PATA controller), it would look
    to the system like a PATA drive and be addressed and enumerated as PATA.
    prior to libata the device would be /dev/hdX, with X depending on how it's
    cabled and if it's set to master or slave, it wouldn't matter if that
    device then converts to other things, the system would still know it as an
    IDE drive.

    this works exactly the same way that external encosures that hold SATA or
    IDE drives, but have SCSI interfaces to the system have always worked so
    it's what sysadmins will expect.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2007-10-16 21:55    [W:0.048 / U:62.624 seconds]