    SubjectRe: how to use TLB to prevent Linux accessing a particular memory region

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, veerasena reddy wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a board, which has two processors ( one is MIPS
    > on which Linux-2.6.18 kernel runs and another is DSP
    > based processor) and 32MB DDR.
    > Out of 32MB of DDR 8MB is reserved for use by DSP
    > processor. But the MIPS processor downloads firmware
    > into this reserved memory for the DSP.
    > Now, is it possible to use the TLB to prevent Linux
    > from accessing the reserved memory after the firmware
    > has been downloaded?
    > Also we'd need to remove those TLB entries if the
    > firmware would ever need to be reloaded to the DSP'
    > memory region.
    > What are the APIs to be used to achieve the above?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Regards,
    > Veerasena.
    > 5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox. Go to
    > -

    Can't you just memory-map the area you need? That reserves it
    until it's unmapped. You don't need to directly touch the TLB.
    If you need a physical location, use ioremap_nocache() in your
    driver. If you can't get your physical location because the
    kernel already uses it, boot the kernel with mem=xxx on the
    command-line to prevent the kernel from using memory you
    want to reserve for your DSP. You can use num_physpages
    (an integer) to find out the last page the kernel uses.

    BTW, if this is a new design, most DSP devices put their
    RAM on their own board so you don't have these problems.
    That RAM gets mmaped to user-space as needed for access,
    that address being set asside in PCI space.

    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version on an i686 machine (5592.59 BogoMips).
    My book :

    The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

    Thank you.

      Last update: 2007-10-16 16:57    [W:0.025 / U:7.476 seconds]