SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 10:04:01PM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:54:22PM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
>>> do PCI devices reorder their bus numbers spontaniously, or only if you
>>> change the hardware?
>>
>> The only system I've had that reordered PCI bus numbers was when I had a
>> partitionable system and changed the partitioning. Not quite "change
>> the hardware", but neither was it "spontaneous". It was certainly
>> unexpected (for me).
>>
>> Greg probably has quite different examples.
>
> Changing the hardware (adding a new PCI device or removing one) are the
> most common times this happens. But I have seen reports of this
> happening when you upgrade/downgrade BIOS versions, and, in some
> oops-we-messed-up cases, when we changed things in the kernel.

BIOS upgrades qualify as changing hardware (or close to it)

oops-we-messed-up cases of kernel changes don't justify 'best effort'
nameing, it's a regression that needs to be fixed.

now the other example given of docking a laptop is closer to reasonable
(and is definantly a reason to have 'best effort' nameing as an option),
but that's still a relativly special case, and it _is_ definantly
changeing the hardware

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-10-16 06:59    [W:2.204 / U:1.052 seconds]