    SubjectRe: What still uses the block layer?
    On Monday 15 October 2007 1:00:15 am Greg KH wrote:
    > If you hate USB storage devices using scsi, please use the ub driver,
    > that is what it was written for.

    For the embedded space, the ability to configure out the scsi layer is
    interesting from a size perspective. I bookmarked that a while back, but had
    forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

    For the desktop I don't object to the scsi layer. I object to the naming.
    Merging a half-dozen different types of devices into a single name space, and
    then warning us that the order they appear within that namespace could be the
    result of race conditions... Seems like an artificially inflated problem to
    me. Don't merge them together and each namespace is a smaller problem, often
    with only a single device or with a stable relationship between the devices.

    (That said, the answer to my original question, "is the block layer still in
    use" seems to be yes, so creating a 00-INDEX for Documentation/block is a
    good thing, and I'll go do that. I acknowledge that I asked this question
    _horribly_, due to having other unresolved issues with the scsi layer...)

    > When did usb-storage devices ever show up as /dev/usb0? USB flash disks
    > are really SCSI devices, look at the USB storage spec for proof of that.

    Um, possibly I _was_ playing with the ub driver and got a /dev/ub0. (I
    vaguely recall playing with back around... February? When did it wander
    across Pavel's blog... I don't actually remember if I got it to work or
    not.) Possibly this is from playing with a usb scanner back around 2004. (I
    just dragged out my other USB device from that period, an ethernet dongle,
    but it doesn't create /dev anything. Just shows up as usb2. :)

    The point I was trying to make is that it seems to me like it would be
    possible to keep the namespace separate here, and thus reduce the enumeration
    problems to the point where common cases (like my laptop) aren't impacted by
    them during early boot. I don't think anybody (outside the embedded space)
    is actually upset that /dev/hda now goes through the scsi layer: they're
    upset Ubuntu 7.04 no longer calls it /dev/hda.

    > thanks,
    > greg k-h

    Thank you,

    - Ken Thompson.

      Last update: 2007-10-15 11:29    [W:0.021 / U:2.156 seconds]