    SubjectRe: [patch] Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority
    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:47:38 -0700
    Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:46:47 -0700
    > Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:
    >

    > > Subject: Give kjournald a IOPRIO_CLASS_RT io priority
    > > From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@linux.intel.com>

    > Seems a pretty fundamental change which could do with some careful
    > benchmarking, methinks.

    FWIW, I have marked the kjournald processes on my system
    realtime with "rtprio -c 1 `pidof kjournald`" and the
    usual desktop stalls that plague my system have not yet
    happened this afternoon.

    > See, your patch amounts to "do more seeks to improve one test case".
    > Surely other testcases will worsen. What are they?

    The big problem I have seen here is that processes end up
    waiting on kjournald to do something, and kjournald is
    waiting due to the IO scheduler.

    This can cause a lot of low IO (high IO priority) processes
    to indirectly get stuck behind a few high IO (low priority)
    processes.

    Since you have been involved a lot with ext3 development,
    which kinds of workloads do you think will show a performance
    degradation with Arjan's patch? What should I test?