    SubjectRe: Network slowdown due to CFS

    * Chris Friesen <cfriesen@nortel.com> wrote:

    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >
    > >But, because you assert it that it's risky to "criticise sched_yield()
    > >too much", you sure must know at least one real example where it's right
    > >to use it (and cite the line and code where it's used, with
    > >specificity)?
    >
    > It's fine to criticise sched_yield(). I agree that new apps should
    > generally be written to use proper completion mechanisms or to wait
    > for specific events.

    yes.

    > However, there are closed-source and/or frozen-source apps where it's
    > not practical to rewrite or rebuild the app. Does it make sense to
    > break the behaviour of all of these?

    See the background and answers to that in:

    http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/357
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/19/328

    there's plenty of recourse possible to all possible kinds of apps. Tune
    the sysctl flag in one direction or another, depending on which behavior
    the app is expecting.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-10-01 19:11    [W:0.024 / U:0.052 seconds]