SubjectRe: .version keeps being updated
Date
Jean Delvare wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Since 2.6.20-rc1 or so, running "make" always builds a new kernel with
> an incremented version number, whether there has actually been any
> change done to the code or configuration or not. This increases the
> build time quite a bit.
>
> I've tracked it down to include/linux/compile.h always being updated,
> and this is because .version is updated. I couldn't find what is
> causing .version to be updated each time though. Can anybody help
> there? Was this change made on purpose or is this a bug which we should
> fix?

I have been bitten by this as well; I have tracked it down to defining
CONFIG_KALLSYMS:

define rule_vmlinux__
:
$(if $(CONFIG_KALLSYMS),,+$(call cmd,vmlinux_version))

quiet_cmd_vmlinux_version = GEN .version
cmd_vmlinux_version = set -e; \
if [ ! -r .version ]; then \
rm -f .version; \
echo 1 >.version; \
else \
mv .version .old_version; \
expr 0$$(cat .old_version) + 1 >.version; \
fi; \
$(MAKE) $(build)=init

Pondering about it, this may be a feature not a bug. Let's assume you have
changed a single function name anywhere - you need to rebuild kallsyms
(ergo vmlinux) for that.

OTOH I do not know if kallsyms include also symbols from modules; if no,
this is indeed a bug.

-andrey

  Last update: 2007-01-09 19:07    [W:0.171 / U:0.100 seconds]