    SubjectRe: SATA problems
    Pablo Sebastian Greco wrote:
    > Tejun Heo wrote:
    >> Pablo Sebastian Greco wrote:
    >>> By crash I mean the whole system going down, having to reset the entire
    >>> machine.
    >>> I'm sending you 4 files:
    >>> dmesg: current boot dmesg, just a boot, because no errors appeared
    >>> after
    >>> last crash, since the server is out of production right now (errors
    >>> usually appear under heavy load, and this primarily a transparent proxy
    >>> for about 1000 simultaneous users)
    >>> lspci: the way you asked for it
    >>> messages and messages.1: files where you can see old boots and crashes
    >>> (even a soft lockup).
    >>> If there is anything else I can do, let me know. If you need direct
    >>> access to the server, I can arrange that too.
    >> Can you try 2.6.20-rc3 and see if 'CLO not available' message goes away
    >> (please post boot dmesg)?
    >> The crash/lock is because filesystem code does not cope with IO errors
    >> very well. I can't tell why timeouts are occurring in the first place.
    >> It seems that only samsung drives are affected (sda2, 3, 4). Hmmm...
    >> Please apply the attached patch to 2.6.20-rc3 and test it.
    >> Thanks.
    > Here's boot dmesg with 2.6.20-rc3 + blacklist. And you are right about
    > only affecting samsung drives, but since only those drives get all the
    > heavy load, couldn't tell exactly.
    > I'm putting the server in production right now, so I think in a few
    > hours I'll have more info.
    > Thanks.
    > Pablo.
    After an uptime of 13:34 under heavy load and no errors, I'm pretty
    sure your patch is correct. Is there a way to backport this to 2.6.18.x?
    Just an off topic question, does anyone know why I get so uneven IRQ
    handling on 2.6.19-20 and almost perfect on 2.6.20-rc2-mm1?

    Thanks for everything.

      Last update: 2007-01-05 04:19    [W:0.033 / U:3.120 seconds]