    SubjectRe: Free Linux Driver Development!
    On 1/30/07, Greg KH <> wrote:
    > Free Linux Driver Development!
    > Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all companies
    > free Linux driver development. No longer do you have to suffer through
    > all of the different examples in the Linux Device Driver Kit, or pick
    > through the thousands of example drivers in the Linux kernel source
    > tree trying to determine which one is the closest to what you need to
    > do.
    > All that is needed is some kind of specification that describes how your
    > device works, or the email address of an engineer that is willing to
    > answer questions every once in a while. A few sample devices might be
    > good to have so that debugging doesn't have to be done by email, but if
    > necessary, that can be done.
    > In return, you will receive a complete and working Linux driver that is
    > added to the main Linux kernel source tree. The driver will be written
    > by some of the members of the Linux kernel developer community (over
    > 1500 strong and growing). This driver will then be automatically
    > included in all Linux distributions, including the "enterprise" ones.
    > It will be automatically kept up to date and working through all Linux
    > kernel API changes. This driver will work with all[1] of the different
    > CPU types supported by Linux, the largest number of CPU types supported
    > by any operating system ever before in the history of computing.
    > As for support, the driver will be supported through email by the
    > original developers, when they can help out, and by the "enterprise"
    > Linux distributors as part of their service agreements with their
    > customers.
    > If your company is worried about NDA issues surrounding your device's
    > specifications, we have arranged a program with OSDL/TLF's Tech Board to
    > provide the legal framework where a company can interact with a member
    > of the kernel community in order to properly assure that all needed NDA
    > requirements are fulfilled.
    > Now your developers will have more time to work on drivers for all of
    > the other operating systems out there, and you can add "supported on
    > Linux" to your product's marketing material.
    > This offer is in affect for all different types of devices, from USB
    > toys to PCI video devices to high-speed networking cards. If you build
    > it, we can get Linux drivers working for it.
    > For any questions about this program, please feel free to respond to
    > this email, or contact me directly at I will also be
    > available at FreedomHEC 2007 <> held
    > adjacent to WinHEC, if anyone wants to bring devices and work
    > face-to-face.
    > thanks,
    > greg k-h
    > [1] for the CPUs that support the bus types that your device works on.
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > More majordomo info at
    > Please read the FAQ at

    How about a kernel driver for the m-cubed tbalancer bigNG ? (see support section of site)

    Complete documentation is available, and devs are friendly (see
    forums), there is already a userspace utility that works well but a
    kernel driver would be even better, especially for something that
    controls system cooling!

      Last update: 2007-01-30 21:17    [W:0.025 / U:4.984 seconds]