    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.20-rc6 - sky2 resume breakage

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

    > Why do you insist on maintaining the wrong initialization order
    > on resume? When I raised the issue, Len brought up that the resume
    > order did not match spec, but then there has been slow progress
    > in fixing it (it's buried in -mm tree).

    It's not getting merged, SINCE IT DOESN'T WORK. It causes all sorts of
    problems, because ACPI requires all kinds of things to be up and running
    in order to actually work, and that in turn breaks all the devices that
    have different ordering constraints.

    ACPI is a piece of sh*t. It asks the OS to do impossible things, like
    running it early in the config sequence when it then at the same time
    wants to depend on stuff that are there *late* in the sequence. It's not
    the first time this insane situation has happened, either.

    But we'll try to merge the patch that totally switches around the whole
    initialization order hopefully early after 2.6.20. But no way in hell do
    we do it now, and I personally suspect we'll end reverting it when we do
    try it just because it will probably break other things. But we'll see.

    In the meantime, sky2 doesn't work with MSI.

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-01-30 01:15    [W:0.020 / U:116.852 seconds]