    SubjectRe: Bugfixes: PCI devices get assigned redundant IRQs
    From
    Am Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:04:41 +0100 schrieb H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>:

    > I think you're confusing the Interrupt Line register and the Interrupt
    > Pin register. The Interrupt Line register is platform-dependent, but on
    > x86 platforms it generally contains the IRQ number (and IRQ 0 is valid,
    > although in practice it is never used since IRQ 0 is the system timer
    > and is never connected to the PCI bus), or 255 meaning "none" -- see the
    > footnote on page 223 of the PCI 3.0 spec.

    No, I don't think so. I meant the PCI Interrupt Pin register and not the
    Interrupt line register. I do know, that the latter contains a platform
    dependent interrupt assignment. In the former a device states which
    interrupt "trace" the device is connected to (Int A-D).
    Perhaps you take at look at the code, I think, it's dealing with the
    register I described (Interrupt pin).

    Linus stated his opinion about the patch and thinks, it should be well
    tested in -mm kernel, because it might break devices, which do not comply
    to the PCI spec.
    I second that. If there're indeed devices out there, which violate the
    spec in this point, the patch would hurt more, than it's doing any good.
    As I wrote in my first message, the consequences of this rather small bug
    (if it is one and not a workaround for bad devices) are harmless.

    Regards,
    Andreas

      Last update: 2007-01-28 16:43    [W:0.027 / U:93.108 seconds]