    SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question
    Date
    On Saturday 27 January 2007 15:01, Bodo Eggert wrote:
    > Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux@googlemail.com> wrote:

    > >> Other than the copy to buffer taking CPU and memory resources.
    > >
    > > It is not required by any standard that I know. Kernel can be smarter
    > > and avoid that if it can.
    >
    > The kernel can also solve the halting problem if it can.
    >
    > Do you really think an entropy estamination code on all access patterns in the
    > system will be free as in beer,

    Actually I think we need this heuristic:

    if (opened_with_O_STREAM && buffer_is_aligned
    && io_size_is_a_multiple_of_sectorsize)
    do_IO_directly_to_user_buffer_without_memcpy

    is not *that* compilcated.

    I think that we can get rid of O_DIRECT peculiar requirements
    "you *must* not cache me" + "you *must* write me directly to bare metal"
    by replacing it with O_STREAM ("*advice* to not cache me") + O_SYNC
    ("write() should return only when data is written to storage, not sooner").

    Why?

    Because these O_DIRECT "musts" are rather unusual and overkill. Apps
    should not have that much control over what kernel does internally;
    and also O_DIRECT was mixing shampoo and conditioner on one bottle
    (no-cache and sync writes) - bad API.
    --
    vda