    SubjectRe: sky2/acpi crashes

    > > > Apple Macbook 2GHz (x86, not amd64)

    > > > any difference with "idle=poll"?
    > > > if yes, how about "idle=halt"?
    > >
    > > idle=poll seems to fix the problem (cpu fan is running almost at full
    > > speed). Maybe I should run a longer test... For now it consists to run
    > > about 15 torrents and watching HDTV through ethernet device.
    > >
    > > idle=halt does not :
    > It sounds like issues relative to Processor C state.
    > Please enter a bug in ACPI category on

    Actually, the test above with the processor module removed proved
    that it isn't ACPI C-states -- as they will not be available.
    You should be able to observe that /proc/acpi/processor/*/power
    does not indicate any C-state use when processor is unloaded.

    My guess was that some deep C-state with long exit latency
    was interfering with the device. booting w/o the processor
    module should have left you running the native mwait idle.
    booting with idle=halt should have left you running the HLT idle.
    booting with idle=poll is a busy spin loop that never enters
    any hardware power saving state.

    I'm quite puzzled that idle=halt was not sufficient to solve the issue,
    because that should be the lowest exit latency idle loop.
    So maybe I'm wrong about the cause -- though I can't then
    explain why idle=poll helps...

    All of the idle selection options cause the kernel to print
    a line with the word "idle" in it. Perhaps you could search
    your dmesg for "idle" to verify that it is running what we
    think it is?

      Last update: 2007-01-24 04:13    [W:0.023 / U:0.936 seconds]