    SubjectRe: [patch 00/46] High resolution timer / dynamic tick update
    On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 18:16:31 -0800
    Daniel Walker <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 22:00 +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > - Provide a generic way to verify clocksources. TSC needs
    > > verification due to broken hardware and BIOS implementations. The
    > > previous attempt to allow TSC usage for high resolution and/or
    > > dynamic ticks only in combination with the PM-Timer made hardwired
    > > assumptions, which are ugly to maintain. The new verification code
    > > solves this by chosing the best available clocksource for
    > > verification and handles the usability check for highres / dynamic
    > > ticks. This makes TSC code agnostic of other hardware available in
    > > the system.
    > There appears to be some fairly clear duplication between my clocksource
    > tree and this release of high resolution timers. Not to mention that we
    > both submitted our tree's to Andrew within days .
    > To lessen Andrews burden it would be wise to integrate the two trees
    > prior to anything going into -mm .. It makes sense to eliminate this
    > kind of duplication since it just results in wasted effort. With the
    > benefit that the merge would likely result in a stronger patch set over
    > all.

    There's also the question of testing status. We know that the dynticks
    patches in -mm mostly work. Now that they appear to have been largely respun,
    we don't know that any more. Then if we go adding more stuff on top, problem
    identification becomes harder.

    I thought that dynticks/hrtimers was a done thing: in fact $certain_people wanted
    them in 2.6.20. The late-breaking rip-up-and-rewrite was rather unwelcome. But
    I haven't got onto reading the patchset yet.

      Last update: 2007-01-24 04:13    [W:0.022 / U:388.396 seconds]