SubjectRe: Strange
Date
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 00:01, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> >> kernel: Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
> >> kernel: Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
> >> ascq=0x03)
> >
> > The disc is using digital rights management. If you are in a country that
> > permits it you can use a dvd reader library with decss support, if not
> > you'll have to either watch your disks on a system approved by the movie
> > industry enforcers or commit a crime to read the disc.
>
> I knew of course about libdvdcss but I've never noticed before that the
> kernel issues these error messages to the syslog.

If you've replaced the drive, the decss keys might have changed for inserted
media (this is especially true if your old drive had a different region
setting).

First set the DVD region on the drive to where you are (probably 2),
using "regionset". Then rm -rf ~/.dvdcss and restart your video playing
application. It should rescan the dvd, figure out the keys, no error
messages.

> So you say this is normal?! But the problem with ejecting isn't probably
> normal.

Yeah, like Alan says it's just the DRM nonsense built into your drive trying
to "protect" the media. You can find firmware modifications which remove this
logic from the drive, but I'm not sure of their legality.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.