SubjectRe: [RFC] pci_bus conversion to struct device
On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 16:22 -0800, Tim Pepper wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > Hm, only ia64 enables that option. Matthew, do you care about those
> > files?
>
> Given the ia64 nature, unless benh was truly wanting to do something
> or ppc64, IBM's big NUMA boxes are pretty unlikely to care.

I'd still like to do something at one point for ppc and ppc64... or
others. It's a generic problem with non-x86 machines.

In addition, there is the problem of legacy VGA arbitration

Part of the problem with legacy VGA accesses is also that it needs some
level of arbitration which we currently don't do in the kernel at all. X
does some stuff, but it doesn't necessarily arbitrate well with other
things for obvious reasons :-)

I wrote some code for that a little while ago but never quite finished,
and X would have had to be ported over. I might give it a go again one
of these days though. Now that X is slowly moving over some sane PCI
access library, there is a good opportunity to slap in support for a
nice kernel based VGA access arbitration interface.

Ben.

  Last update: 2007-01-24 02:17    [W:0.061 / U:0.236 seconds]