    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] System Inactivity Monitor v1.0
    Bill Davidsen <> writes:

    Alessandro Di Marco wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > this is a new 2.6.20 module implementing a user inactivity trigger. Basically
    > it acts as an event sniffer, issuing an ACPI event when no user activity is
    > detected for more than a certain amount of time. This event can be successively
    > grabbed and managed by an user-level daemon such as acpid, blanking the screen,
    > dimming the lcd-panel light à la mac, etc...

    Any idea how much power this saves? And for the vast rest of us who do run X,
    this seems to parallel the work of a well-tuned screensaver.

    This is just a notifier; to make it work as a screensaver you'll have to rely
    on some external programs. Personally I use smartdimmer to dim my vaio panel.

    Obviously you can keep your toaster flying, if you like, simply calling the
    flying-toaster module instead of smartdimmer. Anyway I would use the latter on
    battery. ;-)

    "What made the deepest impression upon you?" inquired a friend one day of
    Lincoln, "when you stood in the presence of the Falls of Niagara, the greatest
    of natural wonders?" ---- "The thing that stuck me most forcibly when I saw the
    Falls," Lincoln responded with the characteristic deliberation, "was where in
    the world did all that water come from?" - Author Unknown

      Last update: 2007-01-20 17:43    [W:0.045 / U:16.272 seconds]