SubjectRe: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
> I think you're repeating a myth that has become a common part of
> hacker lore in recent years. It's caused by how little we know about
> software patents. The myth is that if you release source code which
> violates someone's patent that is somehow worse than if you release
> binaries that violate someone's patent. This is clearly, obviously,
> false. If you're practising the invention without a license in your
> source code then you're practising the invention without a license in
> binaries compiled from that source code. Period.

You are forgetting the 11th commandment - thou shalt not get caught.
Most software patents (actually quite probably most patents) are held by
people who don't have the skills to go disassembling megabytes of code in
search of offenders.

  Last update: 2007-01-02 11:35    [W:0.079 / U:7.356 seconds]