    SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc2+: CFQ halving disk throughput.
    Mark Lord wrote:
    > Tejun Heo wrote:
    >> OT but care to make -i and -I work equivalently? Such that -i reports
    >> more detailed info and user can dump stored id block.
    > hdparm -I works just fine now.

    No objection there.

    > hdparm -i requires the HDIO_GET_IDENTITY ioctl() from drivers/ide,
    > to retrieve the "boot time" copy of the identify block, before any
    > mods are made by the driver. But in recent years, drivers/ide has
    > broken it, in that it tries to maintain the "boot time" copy in sync
    > with the on-drive copy. Kinda makes -i pointless.
    > Is there a way to retrieve the libata cached copy of the ID block?
    > How?

    Just implemented and posted patch for HDIO_GET_IDENTITY in an attempt to
    access ATAPI IDENTIFY block using hdparm.

    >> Support for IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE would be nice too.
    > It already does that, using HDIO_DRIVE_CMD to retrieve it
    > in the same way as for regular IDENTIFY DEVICE commands.

    Hmmm... My hdparm doesn't seem to do that.

    # hdparm -V
    hdparm v6.9
    # hdparm -I /dev/sr0

    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Input/output error

    Am I missing something?

    > In hdparm-7.0, I'll have it use ATA passthrough when possible
    > for most/all commands.

    Glad to hear.

    Happy new year.

      Last update: 2007-01-02 18:57    [W:0.045 / U:36.860 seconds]