SubjectRe: [ARM] Regression somewhere between 2.6.19 and 2.6.19-rc1

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Russell King wrote:

> How do I tell git bisect "I can't test this, this is neither good nor bad,
> please choose another to try" ? Or is git bisect hopeless given the large
> amount of unbuildable commits thanks to our weekly merges?

The easiest way to do this is to start off with

git bisect visualize

which will just show you all the potentially interesting commits, and you
can just browse it for commits that you deem to be (a) ok to try and (b)
hopefully _somewhat_ central to bisection (ie if you pick something that
is very close to one of the already-checked points, the efficiency of
bisection drops a lot - it will still _work_, but if it's not "near the
middle of the pack" it simply won't be very efficient any more.

And then just do

git reset --hard <hand-picked-point>

and off you go. Compile, test, and do "git bisect bad/good" (at which
point "git bisect" will again pick a half-way point automatically for you,
but hopefully you'll have gotten out of the problematic region so you
don't need to override it by hand any more. But you _can_ always override
it, of course).

You can also use the "git reset --hard xyzzy" overrides in case you have a
suspicion about where things happen, and you want to narrow things down by
hand by testing a point closer to the suspicious area. Usually the
bisection is very efficient, but if you have a good clue where the problem
happens, pointing in the right direction and trying to force bisection to
look at a special place will obviously help further.

Of course, if your "good clue" was actually garbage, you'll just make
bisection take longer instead ;)

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.098 / U:0.088 seconds]