    SubjectRe: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
    On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 08:22:21AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
    > On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > I can very easily believe it. The US patent system and "justice"
    > > system in the US is completely and totally insane, and companies
    > > often feel they have to act accordingly. Remember this is the
    > > country that has issued multi-million dollar awards to people who
    > > spill hot coffee in their lap ...
    > MASSIVELY OFF TOPIC: can we please stop using this "hot coffee in
    > lap" story as an example of the idiocy of the justice system? i'm
    > guessing there's more to this story than most folks are aware of, and
    > you're welcome to read the details here:
    > as you can see, there are two salient points that change the
    > complexion of this story thoroughly:
    > 1) mcdonald's was not merely serving their coffee "hot," but
    > *scalding* hot (180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit), a temperature that
    > will produce third-degree burns almost immediately, and

    That's less than 90°C. Water boils at 100°C. How the hell do
    people expect coffee to be made without boiling water? Magic?

    > 2) there had, for a decade prior, been some *700* cases where people
    > had burned themselves with mcdonald's coffee, so it's not as if
    > mcdonald's was unaware of the danger, yet continued to ignore it.

    No, the customers continued to prove to be total morons by total
    ignorance of the fact that coffee *is* hot when fresh. If they
    cannot handle hot coffee, they can order ice coffee or ask for a refill
    of their cola.

    Regards: David
    /) David Weinehall <> /) Northern lights wander (\
    // Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
    \) (/ Full colour fire (/

      Last update: 2007-01-02 16:19    [W:0.024 / U:47.600 seconds]