SubjectRe: Open letter to Linux kernel developers (was Re: Binary Drivers)
On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 08:22:21AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > I can very easily believe it. The US patent system and "justice"
> > system in the US is completely and totally insane, and companies
> > often feel they have to act accordingly. Remember this is the
> > country that has issued multi-million dollar awards to people who
> > spill hot coffee in their lap ...
> MASSIVELY OFF TOPIC: can we please stop using this "hot coffee in
> lap" story as an example of the idiocy of the justice system? i'm
> guessing there's more to this story than most folks are aware of, and
> you're welcome to read the details here:
> as you can see, there are two salient points that change the
> complexion of this story thoroughly:
> 1) mcdonald's was not merely serving their coffee "hot," but
> *scalding* hot (180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit), a temperature that
> will produce third-degree burns almost immediately, and

That's less than 90°C. Water boils at 100°C. How the hell do
people expect coffee to be made without boiling water? Magic?

> 2) there had, for a decade prior, been some *700* cases where people
> had burned themselves with mcdonald's coffee, so it's not as if
> mcdonald's was unaware of the danger, yet continued to ignore it.

No, the customers continued to prove to be total morons by total
ignorance of the fact that coffee *is* hot when fresh. If they
cannot handle hot coffee, they can order ice coffee or ask for a refill
of their cola.

Regards: David
/) David Weinehall <> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\) (/ Full colour fire (/