    SubjectRe: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5
    On Tuesday 16 January 2007 00:34, Robert Hancock wrote:
    > I'll try your stress test when I get a chance, but I doubt I'll run into
    > the same problem and I haven't seen any similar reports. Perhaps it's
    > some kind of wierd timing issue or incompatibility between the
    > controller and that drive when running in ADMA mode? I seem to remember
    > various reports of issues with certain Maxtor drives and some nForce
    > SATA controllers under Windows at least..

    I have exactly the same problem on -rc5 and it causes all I/O to stall
    periodically if I do _anything_ I/O intensive.

    On my box, I have 4 sata_nv handled SATA ports, with two pairs of different
    drives (two Maxtor, two WD) and it happens randomly on both. So it's
    absolutely nothing to do with the drive make/model.

    I'll try Jeff's suggestion of disabling ADMA now, but I think something more
    radical than this workaround should make it into 2.6.20 final, otherwise a
    lot of people are going to have broken boxes.

    Final year Computer Science undergraduate.

      Last update: 2007-01-19 16:31    [W:0.021 / U:10.800 seconds]