    SubjectRe: [take33 10/10] kevent: Kevent based AIO (aio_sendfile()/aio_sendfile_path()).
    On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 05:39:51PM +0300, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 07:21:42PM +0530, Suparna Bhattacharya (suparna@in.ibm.com) wrote:
    > >
    > > Since you are implementing new APIs here, have you considered doing an
    > > aio_sendfilev to be able to send a header with the data ?
    >
    > It is doable, but why people do not like corking?
    > With Linux less than microsecond syscall overhead it is better and more
    > flexible solution, doesn't it?

    That is what I used to think as well. However ...

    The problem as I understand it now is not about bunching data together, but
    of ensuring some sort of atomicity between the header and the data, when
    there can be multiple outstanding aio requests on the same socket - i.e
    ensuring strict ordering without other data coming in between, when data
    to be sent is not already in cache, and in the meantime another sendfile
    or aio write requests comes in for the same socket. Without having to lock
    the socket when reading data from disk.

    There are alternate ways to address this, aio_sendfilev is one of the options
    I have heard people requesting.

    Regards
    Suparna

    --