    SubjectRe: Ext3 mounted as ext2 but journal still in effect.
    Thank you all for all your input. The tune2fs option was eventually
    used and we run into other problems. I think Andries was right in
    that the initrd was interfering, that's where we run into issues
    after the tune2fs.

    I was trying to avoid the tune2fs as it involves booting into
    a live CD and brings the system down to where I can't access
    it over the network (it is a 4 hour drive).

    At the end we had to replace the drive and recreate all file
    systems. If it ever happens again I will pay closer attention
    to the initrd commands to see if the rootfstype=ext2 was overridden
    with what's there.

    On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 23:05 +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:
    > >> You were right, even after making the changes, it seems to be
    > >> telling lies:
    > >>
    > >> # mount
    > >> /dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw,usrquota)
    > Roughly speaking:
    > /etc/mtab shows you what you said to mount.
    > /proc/mounts shows what the current kernel state is.
    > These may differ greatly.
    > For all filesystems mounted by you using mount(8), a line is added
    > to /etc/mtab, where the contents of that line is related to the
    > given mount command, but not to what the kernel did.
    > For the root filesystem, mount(8) writes an initial line in /etc/mtab
    > taken from /etc/fstab. Again the information is from you, not from the kernel.
    > >> # dmesg | grep 'Kernel command'
    > >> Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hda2 rootfstype=ext2
    > >> /dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
    > It would be a bad bug if the kernel mounted its root filesystem
    > with a type different from the type given in "rootfstype=".
    > But I see you use an initrd, and there can be all kinds of commands there.
    Alberto Alonso Global Gate Systems LLC.
    (512) 351-7233
    Hardware, consulting, sysadmin, monitoring and remote backups

      Last update: 2007-01-19 05:13    [W:0.025 / U:3.624 seconds]