    SubjectRe: Initramfs and /sbin/hotplug fun
    On Jan 15, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Andrew Walrond wrote:

    > Olaf Hering wrote:
    >> Why do you need /sbin/hotplug anyway, just for firmware loading for a
    >> non-modular kernel?
    > I guess this is unusual, but FWIW...
    > I have a custom distro and I was just looking for the easiest way
    > to create a bootable rescue pen-drive. So I just took a working
    > distro, added an init->sbin/init symlink, cpio'ed it into an
    > initramfs, and booted it up. Works a treat, except for the early
    > hotplug calls.

    I have a kernel that needs to have early hotplug calls to load
    firmware. I just rolled my own simple hotplug scripts to only address
    that issue and have not had a problem since. The mdev in busybox that
    is in the gentoo initramfs didn't seem to be able to handle it, so I
    just made my own scripts. In my case I needed QLogic firmware so root
    could be on FC.

    FWIW, it is a real PITA to not be able to build a monolithic kernel
    that can bring up root on its own. I will stipulate that I am an old-
    school guy that likes monolithic kernels, but I do feel that
    something has been lost. Yes, I am aware of the reasons for the
    change, else I would have written something when I was fighting the
    battle, but I still don't have to like it.

    Mark Rustad,

      Last update: 2007-01-16 05:17    [W:0.022 / U:0.740 seconds]