SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.20-rc4: usb somehow broken
On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 11:03:35AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Just a thought, you could use both a blacklist approach, and a module
> > > paramater, or something in sysfs, to allow specifying devices that won't
> > > be suspend and resume compatible.
> >
> > Upon further thought, a module parameter won't do as the problem
> > will arise without a driver loaded. A sysfs parameter turns the whole
> > affair into a race condition. Will you set the guard parameter before the
> > autosuspend logic strikes?
> > Unfortunately this leaves only the least attractive solution.
>
> There could be a mixed approach: a builtin blacklist that is extensible
> via a procfs- or sysfs-based interface.

Yes, I think this is the best solution, allow users to add their devices
to the kernel through a sysfs interface as a temporary solution, while
providing a built-in list for known broken devices.

And yeah, I hate blacklists too, but they are necessary at times :(

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2007-01-15 19:27    [W:0.415 / U:0.260 seconds]