    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.20-rc4: usb somehow broken
    On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 11:03:35AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

    > > > Just a thought, you could use both a blacklist approach, and a module
    > > > paramater, or something in sysfs, to allow specifying devices that won't
    > > > be suspend and resume compatible.
    > >
    > > Upon further thought, a module parameter won't do as the problem
    > > will arise without a driver loaded. A sysfs parameter turns the whole
    > > affair into a race condition. Will you set the guard parameter before the
    > > autosuspend logic strikes?
    > > Unfortunately this leaves only the least attractive solution.
    >
    > There could be a mixed approach: a builtin blacklist that is extensible
    > via a procfs- or sysfs-based interface.

    Yes, I think this is the best solution, allow users to add their devices
    to the kernel through a sysfs interface as a temporary solution, while
    providing a built-in list for known broken devices.

    And yeah, I hate blacklists too, but they are necessary at times :(

    thanks,

    greg k-h