Subjectheavy nfs[4]] causes fs badness Was: 2.6.20-rc4: known unfixed regressions (v2)
From
On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 04:57:01PM -0600,  wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 10:54:34AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > It's still possible that this is hardware related; perhaps some component
> > just began to wear out. If you return to an earlier kernel, does the
> > problem go away?
>
> As reported in my original e-mail and verified just minutes ago, the
> copy succeeds with 2.6.19 (kernel.org vanilla, compiled with the same
> config as 2.6.20-rcX). I will begin bisecting between .19 and .20-rc1
> after re-reading Jiri's messages.

All the testing was done via a ssh into the workstation. The console
was left as booted into, with the gdm running. The remote nfs4
directory was mounted on "/mnt".

After copying the 60+ GB and testing that the keyboard was still
functioning, I did not reboot but stayed in the same kernel and pulled
the latest git then started bisecting. After recompiling, I moved
over to the workstation to reboot it, but the keyboard was not
functioning ;(

I ran "lsusb" and it displayed all the devices. "dmesg" did not show
any oops, anything for that matter. I have unplugged the keyboard and
run "lsusb" again, but it hang. I ran "ls /mnt" and it hang as well.
Stracing "lsusb" showed it hang (entered the kernel) at opening the device
that used to be the keyboard. Stracing "ls /mnt" showed that it
hang at "stat(/mnt)". Both processes were in "D" state. "ls /root"
worked without problem, so it appears that crossing mountpoints causes
some hang in the kernel.

Based on this info, I think we can rule out any USB. I will try
testing with NFS3 to see if the problem persists. Unfortunately there
is no oops or anything in "dmesg".

florin

--
Bruce Schneier expects the Spanish Inquisition.
http://geekz.co.uk/schneierfacts/fact/163

  Last update: 2007-01-15 01:39    [W:0.050 / U:2.024 seconds]