    SubjectRe: High lock spin time for zone->lru_lock under extreme conditions
    Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
    > On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 03:39:45PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

    >>What is the "CS time"?
    > Critical Section :). This is the maximal time interval I measured from
    > t2 above to the time point we release the spin lock. This is the hold
    > time I guess.
    >>It would be interesting to know how long the maximal lru_lock *hold* time
    >>which could give us a better indication of whether it is a hardware problem.
    >>For example, if the maximum hold time is 10ms, that it might indicate a
    >>hardware fairness problem.
    > The maximal hold time was about 3s.

    Well then it doesn't seem very surprising that this could cause a 30s wait
    time for one CPU in a 16 core system, regardless of fairness.

    I guess most of the contention, and the lock hold times are coming from
    vmscan? Do you know exactly which critical sections are the culprits?

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2007-01-13 10:01    [W:0.021 / U:4.780 seconds]