SubjectRe: High lock spin time for zone->lru_lock under extreme conditions
Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
> Hi,
> We noticed high interrupt hold off times while running some memory intensive
> tests on a Sun x4600 8 socket 16 core x86_64 box. We noticed softlockups,

[...]

> We did not use any lock debugging options and used plain old rdtsc to
> measure cycles. (We disable cpu freq scaling in the BIOS). All we did was
> this:
>
> void __lockfunc _spin_lock_irq(spinlock_t *lock)
> {
> local_irq_disable();
> ------------------------> rdtsc(t1);
> preempt_disable();
> spin_acquire(&lock->dep_map, 0, 0, _RET_IP_);
> _raw_spin_lock(lock);
> ------------------------> rdtsc(t2);
> if (lock->spin_time < (t2 - t1))
> lock->spin_time = t2 - t1;
> }
>
> On some runs, we found that the zone->lru_lock spun for 33 seconds or more
> while the maximal CS time was 3 seconds or so.

What is the "CS time"?

It would be interesting to know how long the maximal lru_lock *hold* time is,
which could give us a better indication of whether it is a hardware problem.

For example, if the maximum hold time is 10ms, that it might indicate a
hardware fairness problem.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.