SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question
On 1/11/07, Aubrey <> wrote:
> Firstly I want to say I'm working on no-mmu arch and uClinux.
> After much of file operations VFS cache eat up all of the memory.
> At this time, if an application request memory which order > 3, the
> kernel will report failure.
> uClinux use a memory mapped MTD driver to store rootfs, of course it's
> in the ram,
> So I don't need VFS cache to improve performance. And when order > 3,
> __alloc_page() even doesn't try to shrunk cache and slab, just report
> failure.
> So my thought is remove cache, or limit it. But currently there seems
> to be no way in the kernel to do it. So I want to try to use
> O_DIRECT. But it seems not to be a right way.
One possibility might be to poke the open method in struct
file_operations of your fs like

static int my_open_file(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp)
filp->f_flags |= O_DIRECT;
which is a nasty thing to do but might give you an idea of what happens next.

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.