    SubjectRe: Finding hardlinks
    On Thursday 28 December 2006 10:06, Benny Halevy wrote:
    > >> it's also the wrong api; the filenames may have been changed under you
    > >> just as you return from this call, so it really is a
    > >> "was_hardlink_at_some_point()" as you specify it.
    > >> If you make it work on fd's.. it has a chance at least.
    > >
    > > Yes, but it doesn't matter --- if the tree changes under "cp -a" command,
    > > no one guarantees you what you get.
    > > int fis_hardlink(int handle1, int handle 2);
    > > Is another possibility but it can't detect hardlinked symlinks.

    It also suffers from combinatorial explosion.
    cp -a on 10^6 files will require ~0.5 * 10^12 compares...

    > It seems like the posix idea of unique <st_dev, st_ino> doesn't
    > hold water for modern file systems and that creates real problems for
    > backup apps which rely on that to detect hard links.

    Yes, and it should have been obvious at 32->64bit inode# transition.
    Unfortunately people tend to think "ok, NOW this new shiny BIGNUM-bit
    field is big enough for everybody". Then cycle repeats in five years...

    I think the solution is that inode "numbers" should become
    opaque _variable-length_ hashes. They are already just hash values,
    this is nothing new. All problems stem from fixed width of inode# only.

      Last update: 2007-01-12 01:27    [W:0.023 / U:5.808 seconds]