SubjectRe: Linux-2.6.20-rc4 - Kernel panic!
On 1/12/07, Stefan Richter <stefanr@s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> Sunil Naidu wrote:
> > compiling a driver as module has same affect (while
> > builtin feature?
>
> LKML is not the place for such questions.

Being wexed from these problems, I didn't frame that question
properly. Okay, sorry for that.

I meant to ask choosing (from Xconfig tree) a driver as module has
same affect compare to compiling a driver as kernel builtin feature?
(while loading/booting of kernel)

> Modules have to be loaded from a filesystem while built-in features are
> available from the start.
>
> The bootloader only loads the kernel image and optionally an initrd. The
> initrd is used as a preliminary root filesystem which may contain kernel
> modules to load to make the real root filesystem accessible. That's what
> distributors do because they don't know in advance which drivers their
> users will actually need. Endusers who build their own kernels might as
> well compile all drivers that are needed for access to the root
> filesystem into the kernel image and work without initrd.

The funda about the modules & bootloader I do know, thanks for explaining.
I did check the distro .config file (2.6.18-1.2868.fc6). Even I have
changed the my .config files according to the distro's. Even after
that, same error message.

Problem I think is choosing most of the drivers (allmost all) from the
Xconfig list? (even the one's I don't use/need). What do you suggest?