    SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question
    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:45:12 +0800
    Aubrey <> wrote:

    > > In the interim you could do the old "echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches"
    > > thing, but that's terribly crude - drop_caches is really only for debugging
    > > and benchmarking.
    > >
    > Yes. This method can drop caches, but will fragment memory.

    That's what page reclaim will do as well.

    What you want is Mel's antifragmentation work, or lumpy reclaim.

    > This is
    > not what I want. I want cache is limited to a tunable value of the
    > whole memory. For example, if total memory is 128M, is there a way to
    > trigger reclaim when cache size > 16M?

    If there was, it'd "fragment memory" as well.

    You might get a little benefit from increasing /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes,
    but not much. Some page allocation tweaks would aid that.

    But basically, to do this well, serious work is needed.

      Last update: 2007-01-11 08:19    [W:0.020 / U:29.984 seconds]